If you take your personal safety seriously and would like to carry your handgun outside your home a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) is an essential part of the equation. While Washington is an open carry state, there are some restrictions that make doing so without a CPL difficult such as not being allowed to carry your handgun loaded while driving.

These steps from the Department of Licensing provide a general outline of what is involved in obtaining your CPL. For more specific information, contact your local police department or sheriffs office in person or by telephone on their non-emergency line.


You must have a license if you:

  • Carry a pistol concealed on your person.
  • Carry or have a loaded pistol in a vehicle

You must be at least 21 years old.

You won’t qualify for a concealed pistol license if you:

  • Have a revoked concealed pistol license.
  • Are subject to a court order or injunction concerning the possession of firearms.
  • Are free on bond or personal recognizance while awaiting trial, appeal, or sentencing for a felony offense.
  • Have an outstanding warrant for your arrest for a felony or misdemeanor.
  • Have been ordered to forfeit a firearm within the last 12 months.
  • Have been convicted of a felony.
    • To restore your rights, contact the courts where your conviction is or the superior court where you live.


Fee amounts depend on the license you are requesting. See our list of current fees.

How to apply

  • Contact your local law enforcement agency and verify you live in their jurisdiction. If so, ask for a Concealed Pistol License Application.
  • You will need a valid state driver license or ID.
    • If you are a permanent resident alien, bring your permanent resident card.
    • If you have an alien firearms license, bring your original passport and US‑issued alien number or admission number.
  • If applicable, bring your original certificate of rehabilitation or firearms restoration orders.
  • Pay fees with cash or check/money order payable to the law enforcement agency.

Your license is valid for 5 years from the date it is issued.

If you liveApply at
In an unincorporated area of a county in WashingtonYour county sheriff’s office
In an incorporated city or town in WashingtonYour city/town police department or your county sheriff’s office
Outside of Washington (not a Washington state resident)Any local law enforcement agency (police department or sheriff’s office) in Washington State

If your license is lost, denied, or revoked

Contact the law enforcement agency where you applied for your license to get a replacement license or for further details.


Related information

All links: