SB 5078 (Mag Ban) is being voted on Thursday 1/28 at 10 AM in the Senate Law & Justice Committee
(along with SB 5038 Open Carry)
Anti-gun folks are VERY worried; your voices are being heard loudly!
Simply cut and paste into your email and send to these D Senators!
To: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
Subject: PLEASE OPPOSE SB 5078
Please oppose SB 5078 relating to high capacity magazines. This bill is in direct conflict with a the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (Duncan vs Becerra, CA 2018, again in 2020).
- U.S. District Judge Benitez granted summary judgment against the State of California, saying the high-capacity magazine ban “must not be enforced.”
- Benitez also said, “citizens should have legal access to high-capacity magazines for everyday self-protection in the face of a multitude of violent crimes.”
- Against AG Ferguson’s recommendations, The Mass Shootings Work Group specifically did not recommend magazine restrictions to prevent mass shootings.
- Contrary to testimony, many recent mass murderers such as in Parkland Florida, Virginia Tech and others used “low capacity” magazines; this bill would NOT change those outcomes.
- In 2018, 7.5 million Washingtonians endured 5,368 robberies, 11,755 aggravated assaults, 27,329 residential burglaries and 120 residential homicides (FBI).
- Magazine restrictions disproportionately affect low-income, racial, and ethnic minorities, the elderly, and people with disabilities who rely on the current standard capacity of magazines when defending themselves from multiple assailants.
Please do not eliminate Washingtonian’s rights to defend their lives in the more than 44,572 violent crimes they experienced in 2018. Please OPPOSE SB 5078.
Feel free to add your own points as well.
Join the Conversation
Your voice absolutely matters. We only win if you take action! This year we’re more organized and active than ever. How do we know? The anti-gun lobby is sending out impassioned pleas to their base, begging them to get more involved. They’re afraid of your voice. Let’s get louder. Let’s bring our friends in to make even more noise.
Stay plugged in and make sure you never miss a bad bill by signing up for emails: https://dist.wacivilrights.org/
Join the conversation on our new Discord server: https://discord.gg/7nZae42umd
Or on Facebook at the 2022 Legislative Action Group