EMAIL YOUR REPS TODAY
VOTE NO: HB 1283 OPEN CARRY PROHIBITION
LET’S INCREASE THE PRESSURE
The left is calling any form of open carry “armed intimidation.” But we know that is just histrionics. Whether you open carry or not it doesn’t matter: we CANNOT LET them take away yet another of our rights!
THREE EASY STEPS!
STEP 1: Visit this link to find your representative: https://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/
Enter your address, click Verify District, jot down your legislators with REP in front of their name (House),
STEP 2: Visit this link to find their email: https://app.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/House
Paste both their emails into your mail program
STEP 3: Copy and personalize your email. For Rs, thank them for opposing.
Subject: Use your own subject to ensure they don’t just delete all look-alikes!
Rep LAST NAME, I am in in your district and I live at ADDRESS (Important as they cannot delete if you live in their district)
TALKING POINTS (copy or add your own so they don’t delete form letters)
Please oppose HB 1283. This bill mirrors the Mulford Act that was explicitly designed to silence black civil rights protestors. This bill could make it a felony to open-carry in a group, whereas the same activity would only be a misdemeanor if you were alone.
- This bill is ripe for abuse. The Black, Brown, and Asian communities are easy targets
- It could easily be used to create an entirely new group of minority felons who cannot vote and have other civil rights stripped from them
- If one person in a heated discussion open carries and is deemed to be threatening, will everyone else involved be charged with a felony?
- If someone sees a firearm in a group and misinterprets open carry as brandishment (very common, even with law enforcement), the entire group could be charged with a felony, making it easy to target a minority group with whom you disagree.
- Brandishing a weapon is already illegal under RCW 9.41.270. This bill does nothing but make something MORE illegal.
Feel free to visit https://wacivilrights.org/2021/01/25/the-fallacy-of-the-open-carry-ban/ for more talking points, and share them in the Washington 2021 Legislative Action Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/walegislativeactiongroup
Let’s push back HARD and LOUD!
Read the bill here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1283&Initiative=false&Year=2021
Feel free to add your own points as well, and share them in the Washington 2021 Legislative Action Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/walegislativeactiongroup
Join the Conversation
Your voice absolutely matters. This year we’re more organized and active than ever. How do we know? The anti-gun lobby is sending out impassioned pleas to their base, begging them to get more involved. They’re afraid of your voice. Let’s get louder. Let’s bring our friends in to make even more noise.
Join the conversation on Facebook at the 2021 Legislative Action Group!