FLOOD YOUR SENATOR’S INBOXES TODAY
VOTE NO: SSB 5038 OPEN CARRY PROHIBITION
LET’S INCREASE THE PRESSURE
SAME TOPIC, DIFFERENT BRANCH! Flood the Senate with your voices!
The left is calling any form of open carry “armed intimidation.” But we know that is just histrionics. Whether you open carry or not it doesn’t matter: we CANNOT LET them take away yet another of our rights!
THREE EASY STEPS!
STEP 1: Visit this link to find your representative: https://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/
Enter your address, click Verify District, jot down your legislators with SEN in front of their name (Senate),
STEP 2: Visit this link to find their email: https://app.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/Senate
Paste their email into your mail program
STEP 3: Copy and personalize your email. For Republicans, thank them for opposing.
Subject: Use your own subject to ensure they don’t just delete all look-alikes!
Senator LAST NAME, I am in in your district and I live at ADDRESS (Important as they cannot delete if you live in their district)
TALKING POINTS (copy or add your own so they don’t delete form letters)
Please oppose SSB 5038 prohibiting open carry. This bill directly mirrors the racism and classism of the Mulford act banning the open carry of firearms to disarm black civil rights protesters and activists in California.
- This bill reduces the ability of a peaceful protestor to defend him- or herself against an overzealous police officer, counter protestor, or other attacker
- Carrying a firearm with intent to intimidate is already illegal in Washington per RCW 9.41.270. This bill does nothing but make an act MORE illegal
- Prohibiting our ability to defend our lives and those of our children within nearly a football field distance from a demonstration is egregious and unnecessary
- Peaceful, legal open carry within public supermarkets, restaurants, shopping areas, and other public areas far removed and completely separated from a demonstration will be penalized
- This bill is ripe for abuse. The Black, Brown, and Asian communities are easy targets
Feel free to add your own points as well.
Feel free to visit https://wacivilrights.org/2021/01/25/the-fallacy-of-the-open-carry-ban/ for more talking points, and share yours in the Washington 2021 Legislative Action Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/walegislativeactiongroup
Let’s push back HARD and LOUD!
Read the bill here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5038&Initiative=false&Year=2021
Focus on the Second Substitute at the bottom: http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2021-22/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/5038-S.pdf?q=20210219171820
Join the Conversation
Your voice absolutely matters. This year we’re more organized and active than ever. How do we know? The anti-gun lobby is sending out impassioned pleas to their base, begging them to get more involved. They’re afraid of your voice. Let’s get louder. Let’s bring our friends in to make even more noise.
Join the conversation on Facebook at the 2021 Legislative Action Group!